Turning Smocks & Low Cost Alternatives
Over the years I have owned a number of different turning smocks.
Here are MY thoughts.
Sooner or latter every turner decides they need a turning smock.
Because, sooner or latter nature calls and you just don’t have time to shed
all the wood chips, etc. She who must be obeyed, has a no wood chips in the
In A Nutshell
I like the AAW Turning Smock best. I absolutely HATE the blue color. The
dark grey one is not a whole lot better. But, I have found the lightweight,
short sleeve and roomy design works best. It is easy to get on and off. It
easily sheds wood chips.
Continue reading Turning Smocks & Low Cost Alternatives
A few years ago I realized I needed to improve my hand strength if I wanted to be a better turner. Thus, I purchased a set of “Zon Resistance Strength Hand Grips” from Amazon for $7. I use them in the morning while I am riding my exercise bike. They give my hands a good work out. I like em. They have improved my turning.
When I was a kid my uncle had a set of these that you needed to be Superman to use. They were made for weight lifting, etc. The Zon ones I have are good for mere mortals. The resistance is enough, but not to much.
Today 8/31/2016 was my last day at IBM. I started on 6/13/1983.
I voluntarily retired after 33 years, 2 months and 19 days. Approximately 8347 working days (no weekends or public holidays).
I am looking forward to my 2nd career as a full time Studio Woodturner.
I was forced by the GoDaddy people to move my blog from Quick Blogcast hosted by www.GoDaddy.com to WordPress hosted by www.carlford.us
New and Old Blog address is the same. No change.
blog.carlford.us (Preferred Address) or
Continue reading Blog Moved from Quick Blogcast to WordPress
I decided to start my own new woodturning blog. Why?
- Because my Wednesday Night Woodturning group says I have good ideas that I should share with others.
- Because I often find new tools, etc that work well for me and that I would like to share with others.
- Because I am often to lazy to write up all my little ideas for Club Newsletters and Magazines. I just want to jot down a few sentences.
This blog will cover the following:
- New Tools. Mostly woodturning tools.
- Ideas for new woodturning projects. Mostly what we are doing on Wednesday Nights.
- Announcements for any classes I teach.
- Announcements for any demos I do.
- Announcement for any new handouts I add to my web site.
Continue reading My New Woodturning Blog